When Peta asked if we would join her blog tour … it was like a three second delay … yes (might have shouted). It has been a pleasure working with her on our Girt by Sea pattern and so it was no question that we would be involved.
But what to make …
I read the book, cover to cover. And then read it again. Honestly, I was excited to try every project in the book. And I certainly won’t be stopping at just one.
But I need to choose something so I picked the namesake ‘A Piece of Cake’ which is the second project in the book.
I wanted to make a quilt for my in-laws for Christmas and was looking for something quite straightforward. Not fussy. Ok … also easy (lol).
And oh boy, did I nail it with this one. I couldn’t believe how quickly it came together. I basically had a quilt top in one afternoon. Including cutting!
I bought this fabric by April Rhodes a few months ago. I’ll be honest, it isn’t my favourite but I knew my in-laws would love it. Actually, now it is all sewn together it has rather grown on me. Not every quilt has to be bold and saturated colours. The mustard, rust orange, navy and grey is lovely.
The book is designed to use Layer Cakes (get it? A Piece of Cake?!?) for this one, I used a eight half yard bundle of fabric and still plenty left over. I’m thinking I might use what is left for a scrappy binding.
Now just to quilt it. Any suggestions?
Thank you so much for having us Peta – love you, love your book and love this quilt! And we look forward to having Peta hosting our last month in the Girt by Sea Sew-along starting 25 September. It has been so much fun (and not too late to join in!).
Happy Modern Making
PS. Make sure you take a look at what all the other lovely bloggers have been making. They are amazing!
- 14 Aug Sedef – Down Grapevine Lane
- 15 Aug Jemima – Tied with a Ribbon
- 16 Aug Samantha – Aqua Paisley Studio
- 17 Aug Andy – A Bright Corner
- 18 Aug Kirsty – Bonjour Quilts
- 19 Aug Lisa – A Spoonful of Sugar Designs
- 20 Aug Alison – Cotton Factory
- 21 Aug Carrie – Moda Fabrics
- 22 Aug Nadra – Ellis and Higgs
- 23 Aug Angie – Gnome Angel
- 24 Aug Tara – Tara Sews
- 25 Aug Jules – The Creative Retreat
- 26 Aug Kristyne – Pretty by Hand
- 27 Aug Kimberly – Fat Quarter Shop
- 28 Aug Lissa – Moda Lissa
- 29 Aug Amy – Diary of a Quilter
- 30 Aug Kerry – Kid Giddy & Cat – Hello from Cat on Instagram
- 31 Aug Jane – Modern Makers Retreat
- 1 Sept Kate – Never Enough Hours
- 2 Sept Jodie – Vintage Ric Rac
- 3 Sept Sharon – Patches Indooroopilly (in store & online!)
- 4 Sept Amanda – Material Girl Quilts
- 5 Sept Amber – A Little Bit Biased
- 6 Sept Xanthe – Wife Made
- 7 Sept Rachel – Family Ever After
- 8 Sept Jenny – Martingale
- 9 Sept Amy – Nana Company
- 10 Sept Peta – She Quilts A Lot